A Day in the life...

Of a non-equity Actress in Dallas.



So it's been two weeks since I last posted. 😳 But between going on vacation, work, rehearsals and auditions, my life has been slightly hectic, but I'm back and ready to write!

Oh man... The differences between being an actress in NYC vs being an actress in Dallas are HUGE. The two places have a lot in common, but also are very different. While I like living in both places, if you know me, you know my heart lies in Texas. Always has, always will.


I could go on and on about my Texas pride, but that's not what this post is about and my friends are sick of hearing about it. 😂

So, without further ado, let's get to it!

One huge difference about my days in Dallas vs NY might surprise people. There is actually a lot more variety in my days and things can change very quickly even hour to hour because there are so many variables.

7:00AM-7:30AM: I usually wake up at this time to get ready for the day and head to one of my day jobs which is nannying the cutest little baby ever.

8:30AM: I'm at work and watching baby girl till about 3:30PM each day.

(Through out the day I'm doing a number of things while I nanny. I'm writing and editing my novel (eeeekkk! More on this soon), I work out or take baby on walks, I work on the blog, I practice, and I memorize when I'm in a show).

3:30 PM: I'm off from work and if it's a Monday or Wednesday, I'm headed off to teach at a children's theatre studio. Monday's I'm off at 7PM and Wednesday's it's 5:15PM.

(Here's when things can get different). My nights can be a number of things. They are often times rehearsals, or more theatre auditions, or auditions from my agent, or some (very rare) nights, I'm off and have nothing to do.

Another huge difference from Dallas to NY is that in Dallas, most of the time, I can audition for anything I want by either calling/emailing to make an appointment or by signing up online. And I always get seen, which took a while for me to get used to. But this is a difference I love. I've been given so many opportunities that I wouldn't have even gotten seen for in New York.

7 PM: Is when most rehearsals start.

10:00 PM-10:30 PM: Rehearsals out and I head home.

11 PM- 11:30 PM: Get home depending on if I'm in Dallas proper or Fort Worth.

By midnight most days, I'm home and cozy in my perfect Texas bed.

(JK, this is not my bed😂, but it does match my TX pride)

When I try to explain to people how different my life is now, it's always hard to put into words. Writing it all out, both days in NYC and Dallas makes me see how amazing it is that I was able to put myself through both.

Dallas, as crazy as it sounds, offers me much more of the unknown in the day to day. Because in one day, I could be working both jobs or one job, I could be singing for three different auditions, I could be auditioning for film or commercials, or I could be at rehearsals or performing in a show. 

New York in all it's crazy glory was very much the same for me day to day. 

Now, if I want to talk on the phone with one of my besties in NY, we really have to time it right because just as I'm getting off of work for the day, they're heading into work at night

And this isn't to say one is better than the other or that I have infinite experience in either location, I'm still learning and growing. But like I wrote in my first post, I knew something had to change. It's been amazing to live in both places as an adult in both places, however Dallas is the right place for me at this time in my life. 

If you have any questions about the Dallas market, or the film scene, agents, or anything about North Texas, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Not sure what I writing about next week, but I'm glad to be back!

<3

Em



What I'm listening to: "Slow Burn" (Our Grammy winning super star!) https://open.spotify.com/track/6ET9kf9riLETWs9lePUEAI?si=z4HoYlTzQ3iyfeJOEPx9OA

Comments

Popular Posts